Employment Opportunity: Events Coordinator (1 permanent and 1 eight-month contract)
September 06, 2013
About The Vancouver Board of Trade
For 126 years, The Vancouver Board of Trade has helped businesses of all sizes to grow and prosper. Our mission is to work in the enlightened interest of our members to promote, enhance and facilitate the development of the region as a Pacific centre for trade, commerce and travel. The Vancouver Board of Trade strives to enable and empower its members to succeed, grow and prosper in the global economy.
Position Description: Events Coordinator (1 permanent and 1 eight-month contract)
The Vancouver Board of Trade expects to have a very busy event schedule in the coming months. Consequently, The Vancouver Board of Trade is seeking two talented and energetic Events Coordinators to join our Events Team. These positions report to the Manager, Events. The ideal candidates for these positions are hands-on event generalists who thrive in a service-focused environment that deliver compelling events to support and nurture our members’ experience. You must be a self-starter, collaborative, and be energized by a fast-paced environment that will put you at the epicentre of Vancouver’s business community. If this sounds like you, please read on.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall planning, execution and follow up of events as assigned by project lead
- Act as primary contact/liaison with event speakers and presenters
- Enter event details into internal database (EBMS), website, and internal documents
- Generate individual event financial projections and proformas
- Work closely with Director, Partnership Development to ensure sponsorship entitlements are delivered
- Obtain quotes from suppliers for function space, catering, audio visual and other event services
- Develop on-site promotional materials including PowerPoints, scripts, and more
- Minimum 5 years of event planning experience, with exposure to:
- Trade, consumer and conference events
- Policy forums
- Marquee speakers
- Experience with selecting and securing function space, creating agendas, confirming guest speakers, budgeting, tracking, reporting, and post-event follow up
- Working both independently and collaboratively in a high pressure environment
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills
- Skilled writer including event briefs, scriptwriting etc.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships and partnership with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in-person and by phone with high level of professionalism
- Resourcefulness and problem solving
- Working knowledge of audio visual equipment and sounds systems
- Bachelor’s degree or technical school diploma, with a focus on event planning or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of specialized and personal computer systems and databases, internet, and software applications. Particularly MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and EBMS
Special Factors / Physical Demands
These positions are located in downtown Vancouver. The usual work week is 37.5 hours. The successful candidates will need to maintain some flexible scheduling during evenings, weekends, and early mornings. The Vancouver Board of Trade's events are high-volume activities that require careful scheduling and often require changes due to schedule changes or other considerations. Light lifting of equipment is also required.
If this still sounds like you, please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 15, 2013.