Employment Opportunity: Events Coordinator (One-year contract)
May 09, 2014
About the Vancouver Board of Trade
For 127 years, The Vancouver Board of Trade has helped businesses of all sizes to grow and prosper. Our mission is to work in the enlightened interest of our members to promote, enhance and facilitate the development of the region as a Pacific centre for trade, commerce and travel. The Board strives to enable and empower its members to succeed, grow and prosper in the global economy.
Position Description, Event Coordinator (One-year contract)
The Board expects to have a very busy event schedule over the next year. Consequently, The Board now seeks a talented and energetic Event Coordinator to join our Events Team. This position reports to the Manager, Events. The ideal candidate for this new position is a hands-on events generalist who thrives in a service-focused environment that delivers compelling events, which support the nurturing of our members’ experience. You must be a self-starter, collaborative and be energized by a fast-paced environment that will put you at the epicentre of Vancouver’s business community. If this sounds like you, please read on.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution and follow up of events from a venue lead standpoint.
- Generate individual event financial projections and proformas.
- Work closely with Director, Partnership Development to ensure sponsorship entitlements are delivered.
- Seek quotes from suppliers for function space, catering, audio / visual and other event services.
- Bachelor’s degree or technical school diploma, with a focus on event planning or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of specialized and personal computer systems and databases, internet, and software applications, particularly Microsoft Office and EBMS.
- Demonstrated minimum five years of event planning experience, with exposure to: Trade, consumer and conference events; Policy forums, and high-profile speakers
- Prior experience with event planning, including selecting and securing function space, creating agendas, confirming guest speakers, budgeting, tracking, reporting and post-event follow up.
- Working both independently and collaboratively and under pressure.
- Proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in-person and by phone with a high level of professionalism.
- Resourcefulness and innovation to solve problems.
- Working knowledge of audio visual equipment and sounds systems.
Special Factors / Physical Demands
This is a contract position located in downtown Vancouver. The contract start date will be May or June, 2014 and the end date will be May 29, 2015. The usual work week is 37.5 hours. The successful candidate will need to maintain a flexible schedule in order to participate in events that can occur early mornings, evenings and weekends. The Board's events are high-volume activities that require careful scheduling and often involve changes due to speakers’ schedules and other considerations. Light lifting of equipment is also required.
If this still sounds like you, please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 20, 2014.