Being an LOT student
The Leaders of Tomorrow (LOT) mentorship program® provides students with opportunities to network with experienced business people, volunteer, build leadership skills, attend exclusive events, and get connected to Greater Vancouver's business community.
As a Member of LOT, you will have the chance to join the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade for one year at a special rate. You will also be matched with an experienced business leader, who will be your mentor for the duration of the year. The LOT program runs from September to August each year and applications are accepted until the end of April for the upcoming year.
It's free to apply and interview for the LOT Program. Those accepted into LOT are provided access to the highly subsidized student offer of just $349.00, plus GST to join the program.
The LOT Program is valued at nearly $1000 and gives students access to the following benefits and opportunities:
- An established mentor in the local business community who will work with you to set goals, answer questions, and help you prepare to enter the workforce
- First access to job postings with our sponsor and partner companies
- Membership in the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade ($699 value)
- More than $200 in complimentary tickets to Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events
- Access to over 15 free Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events, many of which are specifically organized for LOT students
- Personalized business cards and a Greater Vancouver Board of Trade nametag
- Access to a complimentary LOT Leadership Day to help you prepare for a successful year and build connections with over 100 LOT students from across the region. Topics covered will include emotional intelligence, personal leadership, team leadership, and networking essentials
- A professional headshot taken at the first LOT event ($100 value)
To be eligible, you must:
- Be going into your final year of your post-secondary or graduate education at one of the Lower Mainland's accredited institutions
- Reside in the Greater Vancouver area from during the course of the program
- Be able to meet the graduation requirements of the program, which include meeting with your mentor five to seven times, attending five events, and committing to the volunteer committee you were selected for
- Have aspirations for, or experience in, leadership roles
The application takes 10-15 minutes.
Application deadline for the 2019-20 program is April, 30, 2019.
Who should apply to the Leaders of Tomorrow Mentorship Program?
Students who are entering their last year of post-secondary education, regardless of whether the program is 2 years, 4 years, or longer.
I will not be in Vancouver for the duration of LOT, can I still participate in the program?
As the program requires you to attend LOT events, arrange meetings with your mentor, as well as sit on a volunteer committee, the program will be most beneficial if you reside in town.
How do you match the mentors with the mentees?
We take into consideration several criteria: field of study, hobbies, interests, and location.
What is the time of commitment of joining LOT?
It depends. The time commitment for the LOT program is approximately 5-8 hours per month. This includes meeting with your mentor, attending events, and participating in a Greater Vancouver Board of Trade volunteer Committee.
What are the requirements to graduate from the LOT program?
You are required to attend both the LOT Orientation and Graduation evenings, as well as a minimum of 3 additional Board of Trade events. It is also required for you to meet with your mentor at least 5-7 times over the course of the year and track your progress in your Log Book. Lastly, you must attend volunteer committee meetings and respect the Code of Ethics and Conduct and Harassment Policy.
Why should I join LOT?
You will have the opportunity to work with a mentor in the local business community to prepare for graduation, set goals, and support your success. You will also gain access to over 15 free Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events, as well as over $200 in complimentary tickets to more events. Additionally, you will receive personalized business cards and an LOT name tag.
What does the timeline of the application process look like?
Online applications to join LOT are open all year and due on April 30 of each year for the upcoming program year which runs from September to August. Applicants who have met the graduation eligibility are invited to attend the Speed Interview Night in early June. Successful candidates are notified of their acceptance into the program at the end of June.
What is the format of the Speed Interview Night?
Six to eight candidates are seated a table with one interviewer. Each student is interviewed by 4-5 different people, and asked questions based on the four pillars of LOT: Mentorship, leadership, networking and volunteerism.
What if I can't make it to the Speed Interview Night?
While we prefer for you to attend the Speed Interview Night in person, you will have the option of signing up for a phone interview should you be unavailable.